Monday, August 24, 2009

Dulce De Domingo

Sunday evening and I'm sitting on my bed eating a plate of pasta. I gave some to gorgeous Nahuel on the front desk and he has just come in to say thanks and give me a peppermint choccie. Little sweetheart. I had a bit of a sleep in, then headed to La Poesia for my de riguer cafe con leche y tres media lunas. I then walked down to catch the E line at Bolivar subte out to the last station and caught the train to the last stop and taxied it out to Feria de Mataderos. It's a Sunday market with gauchos and folkloric dancing and the ubiquitous asados. Very fun. I spent about 2 hours walking around and buying a few things. I ate a dulce de leche wafer and it was soooo good. Ran in the opposite direction to stop myself from gettting more. I don't know how this nation don't have arses the size of the Teatro Colon eating that stuff all the time! I look at the jar and gain 5 kilos! I was told that bus number 126 takes you all the way there and all the way back. I heard the people next to me speaking english so I asked if I could share a cab with them. The woman said it was okay provided we could get one. Listening to her rabbit on, I realised this might be the cab ride from hell. Salvation arrived in the form of the 126 bus so I ran for the bus instead. I reached into my purse to get coins for the machine. I didn't have the $1,10 required and was waiting for the driver to stop the bus and point to the door. Instead, he just waived me through with a smile. Nice! May that man win lotto this week! Not only did the bus go via San Telmo, it stopped right outside my door! Wish I'd known that this morning- could have saved me some time and money. Then again, I would have missed out on my flirty cab ride with Javier the taxi driver! Back in San Telmo, I dropped my stuff and headed down to Defensa again to check out the market. Soooo many people as it's a beautiful day today so they were out in droves
(and probably still are). Got to photograph the batucada band this time and they sounded even better this week. I bought a few more things but 2 crowds at markets at one day was a touch overwhelming for me so I called it a day and came back here to make my pasta. I went to the Milonga de la Consagrado which was held at Nino Bien last night and it was amazing. I managed to score 5 fabulous dances and got to meet a blog friend, Tango Cherie (hi Cherie!). Post milonga-which ended at 10.30pm, I came back to the hostel, went to Del Plata for dinner and then went to bed. There was really no point in going to a milonga alone and watching everyone dance. I felt sated from the one I went to and thought I should stop while the going was good. One night of great dancing and fabulous food and wine in my belly was all this girl needed. I think I'm coming down with a cold. It seems everyone I've known who has come to Buenos Aires has arrived back in Melbourne with a cold or flu of sorts and I guess I won't be exempt. I don't think I can be bothered going out tonight. I know I should be making the most of my last days here but I'm really tired. I can't stop thinking of a hot shower and getting under the covers- even though it's only 7.35 pm! It isn't even dinner time in this town! I have a private lesson with Aurora tomorrow so maybe I should stay in and rest for an hour of intense training! Watch this space to see what I ended up doing...


dam buster said...

Good luck with the training!

Margarita Milonguita said...

Thanks DB.. a private lesson and then a group class an hour later! Whew! I'm re in love with the tango.
I officially have a head cold. Blah