Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Madonna AND the Whore

One of my friends, Miss Mandy Lee, wrote this on her MySpace blog and I found it spot on. Take it away Miss Lee.... I have been hearing a lot of talk lately about "good" girls and "bad" girls. About saints and sluts, madonnas (the virginal variety, not she of the conical bra) and whores, the nice and the nasty. Young, very young women are still getting caught up in this crap, trying to validate and justify any sexual encounters they may have had in their short lives so as not to be labelled and judged. I'm so sick of women having to justify their every move, particulary in the sexual sense. And then automatically be categorized as a "good" girl or a "bad" girl. Is this the puritanical hand of religion still trying to strangle any fun out of life for females? Is it that some men just can't handle a healthy female libido and, whilst quite happy to take advantage of it, will then denigrate the chick as a way of trying to control her "wayward" sexuality? Why can't women enjoy and pursue sex the same way men do?? Why, if a woman is sexually aggressive and active is she automatically LIKENED to a man? Fuck, some people need to drag their sorry arses into the 21st century and realize that since, oh, TIME FUCKING BEGAN, women have been having orgasms, with multiple partners, and loving it. It's not about being "good" or "bad" - oh and "good" girls - if you think you're saving yourself for something wake up and smell the coffee. Be safe, have fun and don't let other people's hang ups ruin your good time. Don't be scared of experimenting either. Homophobia is another hangover from the dark ages that just needs to be kicked to death. Do whoever you want to, whenever you want to, I say. Sex is one of the few natural, legal highs. Now why would you want us to feel bad about wanting that, huh? Grrrrrrrrrr Bravo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno. Seems slightly irrelevant to me. I mean it seems a lot of girls admire so call "bad" girls, so they see bad as good. Isn't it just a convenient tag to describe a type of person? The words don't necessarily mean their dictionary definition.

Think it was Mae West who said "When I'm good, I'm very good. When I'm bad I'm better."

I think what I mean about irrelevant is that there is a lot of anger and justification in the piece, and aren't the people Miss Mandy Lee talking about kind of retarded? Like I get judged, but I can't be arsed getting angry because some idiot has got fucked up standards. Fuck 'em, they're idiots.

Lola Lopez said...

I appreciated this piece because I like someone with a good ranting opinion and as a female I definatly understand - as you've probably surmised from a few of my blogs.

RoseRed said...

The virgin mother/ whore thing has been around forever. Its not just men who categorise and denigrate women but also women. The persisitent use of language like slut, whore, ho, slag, as insult against people who piss us off reinforces the societal view that women who enjoy sex should be denigrated. Why don't we say for example, 'She's a slut!' when we're complimenting someone if its so great women are out there having a good time and sex should be celebrated. Theres been an attempt to reclaim words like 'cunt' in shows like the old Vagina Monologues but what about all the language around womens sexuality? If we truly believe women should be able to have the sort of good time enjoyed by men (with notches to the bed) without guilt and without giving a shit what people think (as anonymous above indicates) then lets start with our language 'cause its damned powerful.