Thursday, October 19, 2006

It's Just A Ride

The hard drive on my MP player crashed a couple of weeks ago and that is a major bummer. I had all my Bill Hicks stuff on it and when I go through my black times, I usually listen to Bill to lift me out of my funk and and remind me not to take myself too seriously. I found this on the internet and hope you find it as inspiring as I do.

"As scary as the world is, and it is. It is merely a ride. In the amusement park of the universe, it is merely a ride. It has its thrills, it has its chills, it has its ups, it has its downs... the World is just a ride, and some people have known it. We think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are, but it's not, it's a ride, and some people have known it and they've come here and told us, "it's just a ride" and we have killed those people, cos we love the fucking ride. You ever notice that? We always kill the good guys and leave these demons just running amok on the planet. You ever notice that? Jesus murdered. Martin Luther King murdered. Ghandi murdered. Malcolm X murdered. Reagan wounded. But it's just a ride. And since you know it, and some people are tired of the ups and downs, and thrills and chills, and prefer instead the quiet... they have to be told it's just a ride. “- Bill Hicks (1961 - 1994)

2 comments:

Lee Bemrose said...

Wow. He knew some shit.

When I'm wading through my gloom I often tell myself that this is not real, it will pass and there will be laughs again. Kind of like when you take the wrong drugs and your mind turns on you and you know you've got to hang on and ride it out. First time is worst because you think it's real, but with experience if things go wrong you say just that: it's just a ride.

He's right, life's a ride, enjoyed best when not taken too seriously. Hard to remember sometimes.

Lola Lopez said...

You don't know how much I've missed Bill crooning in my ears about social justice and his hatred debbie gibson and other such lame useless human beings.
Or how there are barely any deaths due to guns in the UK but many lives are lost at soccer games! ("Give me all your money- I've got a soccer ball!" "Shit Ian- it's a Spalding! He's serious!")
I laugh till I convulse and forget anything was ever wrong...