Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Dusk

Isn't it nice to re visit old music? I was listening to an old favourite from 1992- The The's 'Dusk' album. For those of you that aren't familiar with The The, it's essentially one person-Matt Johnson- and any musicians he cares to work with at the time. Dusk sounds like the result of Matt coming to a crossroads in his life and having that epiphany that we all have (or should). Every song goes through heartfelt emotions and truths. Favourite lines from different songs "How can it be/that a heart that beats/and lips that smile and eyes that cry/could ever die? "Here they come/the dogs of lust/out of my mind/and into my life" "I'm scared of the things I think of when night comes along" "Everybody knows what's going wrong with the world/but I don't even know what's going on in myself" "I'm just a slow emotional reply of somebody I used to be" "You're the strangest feeling I've ever had" "Why can't love ever touch my heart like fear does" "Save me... from myself" "Our lips touch, our limbs entwine, but the ghosts that haunt me/won't leave my mind" "If you can't change your world, change yourself/ and if you can't change yourself,change your world" "The world's too big and life's too short to be alone"

1 comment:

Lee Bemrose said...

My god I haven't thought about The The in ages, but there qwas a time when Soul Mining was a favourite album. There was always something strange about the lyrics to This Is The Day, like initially it sounds like an optimistic song, but really it's a song about loss or failure. I think.

I could be wrong about that. Regardless, awesome song. Awesome songwriter.

Don't think I have Dusk. Just Soul Mining, Mind Bomb... and is Infected an album or just a track? Going to rummage tonight.