Friday, November 19, 2004

Rock Stars who are embarrassing but strangly enough still got it

I was going to add Kiss to my list of rock stars that should a Magnum stuck directly in the base of skull and the trigger pulled but after a long think, I've decided they don't deserve this treatment. Kiss began their career back in the early '70's. They released 3 albums,Kiss, Hotter Than Hell and Dressed To Kill (a personal favorite) but it wasn't until they released their Kiss Alive! double album that they really hit the big time. (BTW.. What was it about the seventies and double live albums? Kiss Alive, Frampton Comes Alive, Double Live Gonzo-Ted Nugent for those that were just a twit in their dad's nut sack then). 1976 they released 'Destroyer'. I was 13 years old and we loved it. I remember one of the guys bringing it to our Form 1 camp and listening to it non stop.. Every trip we were belting out "SHOUT IT, SHOUT IT, SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!!!!" After that, it was 'Love Gun', 'Rock and Roll Over', Double platinum and Kiss Alive II. 1979 we saw them change direction with 'Dynasty' with the now classic 'I Was Made For Loving You' and 'Sure Know Something' (Bab, if you come across this, I'm singing '2000 Man' just for you mate!) In 1980, they released 'Unmasked' which was almost paramount to bubble gum mush. 'Shandi' was foul. In November of that year, they toured Australia and I can say that I was one of the thousands that was screaming in that crowd at the now demolished VFL Park 25 years ago. They released 'The Elder' in 1981 and it was a stinker. They released a single 'I' which didn't go anywhere. I didn't even bother buying that one. Eventually, all the posters which covered every inch of my bedroom walls came down, the face paint was put away, lost the t shirts and the albums (which I'm spewing about now because being originals they are worth a fortune and I could have made some good bikkies!) They continued to make albums. They lost the make up, had many line up changes, they put the X in sex... they just weren't going away. I discovered there is a whole population of fat,sad men out there who love them to the point of covering their body with KISS tatts. I've heard of one guy who wore his Kiss t shirt under his tux on his wedding day! Anyhoo, to cut a long story short, Kiss have had longevity because they can laugh and take the piss out of themselves. They know they are sad old men but they still can deliver because there are droves of people who want them there. It's been 29 years but Rock n Roll All Nite still gets me going. I want that song played at my wedding or funeral, whatever comes first (yeah yeah we all know it'll be the dead occassion!) So hats off to Kiss... old and orange but they are the ones having the last laugh.. with grease paint.

No comments: